And so, there's this thing...: Work and play...

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Work and play...

Yesterday, I had the most primitive eye exam. I've ever had. I thought I had been transported to Eastern Europe or something. Maybe even deepest Africa. The exam. began with the normal general health type questions and then she asked me to remove my glasses. It went downhill from there. To begin with, her hands smelt of fish. This is never a good thing, especially not when said hands were mere inches from my rather sensitive nose.

Then, instead of putting my head in some highly technical and advanced, shiny machine thing, she put these 'glasses' on me. I looked like Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. She when proceeded to slot in lenses of various strengths to see if my vision had changed since my last exam. (2 years ago).

Anyway, the whole procedure took almost an hour. A fucking hour for something which usually doesn't take more than 25 minutes. 1 word, bitch...TECHNOLOGY. It's a wonderful things. Makes things much FASTER and less PUNGENT.

That's the last time I go there again.

It clearly won't be. I like getting new glasses every so often (my one vice) so I'll probably be back.

Lots has been happening at work, lately:
-I got my boss' boss to shout at some bint who wasn't doing what I asked her to do (i.e), her freakin' job.
Always go to the top, I always say.
-We all nearly froze to death because the air-conditioning was on MEGA and the control panel is in a locked room to which -we don't have a key.
-The temp has been flirting outrageously with me. Little does she know...
-The new, anti-animal-'rights'-saggy-titted-moron security system is being installed. The building is now more secure than the White House. I wanted electrically-charged gates and guard dogs but they were too expensive. Short-sighted fools.
-I broke the key to my desk which means I can't get to the highly important papers in the drawers and the maintenance people say they have to call a locksmith to fix it. They were deaf to my protestations that I need access to the desk and I need it NOW. Fuckers. There aren't really highly important papers in my desk, BUT, I do have some chocolate, Jaffa Cakes and dried figs.
-The bint who orders the stationery once again fucked -up and we now have 5000 wrong size envelopes. She ordered the MASSIVE ones that X-rays come in.


Academically, I've been asked to give tutorials for another College. This is hugely exciting as I miss the buzz of academia and learning in general.

This evening, Elly, Sam, Barnaby and Patty are coming around for dinner. Patty came last week too. She practically has a key to the house. Patty and Elly have, quite possibly, the filthiest mouths of anyone I know apart from me. This evening should be entertaining as Elly and Sam don't know Patty terribly well (they've only met once before) and it's always hugely amusing watching Elly and Patty restraining themselves for fear of offending the other. Barnaby is also quite amusing and has the most wonderful hair. The clothes situation is something else entirely...

Currently listening to: Milkshake by Kelis

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam Jordison said...

Dinner was delicious, but I do have a slight case of wind this morning. In fact, this has already caused a rather embarrassing incident - viz: our toilet is broken so a plumber came round this morning to fix it. Unfortunately, when he arrived I was on said throne the process of expelling (pungently) some of these wind making articles.

Cue frantic attempts to open windows, spray deodrant etc so the poor fellow didn't expire when he entered...

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home