And so, there's this thing...: I have not foresaken thee...

Sunday, September 25, 2005

I have not foresaken thee...

Okay, it's been a while since I've posted something but I'm a very important person and resultantly, very busy. So just freakin' deal with it.

5 years ago whilst waiting for my flight back to London from Bombay, I was approached by a woman at the Emirates bit of the waiting area. She seemed to be in some distress and asked if I was flying to Dubai. I said 'yes'. She pulled a letter out of her bag and asked if I could post it when I got there. I said I was just in transit and wouldn't be leaving the airport but she said there were postboxes at the airport and please would I post it for her? It had to be there urgently and she was flying in the opposite direction and the Indian postal system isn't known for its efficiency. I looked at the envelope and as it was one of those blue airmail ones in which you can't put anything (explosives, for example) so I took it and said I'd post it.

Sadly, my flight was over 2 hours late leaving Bombay and when I finally got to Dubai I had to race from one end of the airport to the other. What I hadn't realised (and what no one told me) was that the Dubai to London flight was being held as so many of the passengers from the Bombay to Dubai flight were on the connecting flight too. I need not have raced from one end of the airport to the other. I could have strolled. I'm a great fan of strolling. Short story long, I forgot to post the letter. I'm not sure what I did with it but I think I may have accidentally thrown it out.

I often wonder what was in the letter. The woman that gave it to me was in some distress so the letter was obviously important. I've been thinking about this for 5 years now. Perhaps the letter was to a lover or child. Maybe a dying parent. Who knows. What I do know is that I've carried this guilt around with me for 5 years. I often wonder what became of the woman at the airport. Is she in Dubai, pleading with the recipient of the letter to believe her when she says she gave it to someone to post? Is she living somewhere else wondering why the recipient of her letter hasn't replied? Is she still alive?

If I ever do meet this woman. I have 2 words for her...


"FED-EX, BITCH"


Lumbering me with her fucking guilt.


Currently listening to: some song by The Go! Team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home