And so, there's this thing...: Babes in toyland...

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Babes in toyland...

Blair can keep his babes. Mine are like, wwwwaaayyyy better.

Babe #1: On Wednesday, I dragged Sophia to the Imposition of Ashes service for Ash Wednesday at Magdalen. She is just so sweet. She wanted to know if she could take a cup of coffee with her. I'm surprised she didn't rock up in pyjamas. Moron. They take just anyone at Harvard, clearly. Anyway, the choir was singing Allegri's Miserere Mei which is commonly described as one of the most beautiful pieces of Christian sacred music and I'm inclined to agree. Sadly, the choir didn't do it justice. I should have gone to Exeter instead. The choristers at Magdalen, whilst very good don't do Miserere Mei justice. It requires a richer female voice. The service was quite long but it was very good and Sophia enjoyed it, I think. She managed to stay awake for the whole thing which is a miracle in itself.

Currently listening to: Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder.

Babe #2: Alexandra is all wrong. She's a bunch of contradictions and it's f ucked up. But in a good way. Coffee with Alex is never just coffee. It somehow morphs into drinks then dinner then long drunked chats about love, life and men. And we sometimes talk about her too. One such evening was on Monday. She rang up in a tizzy saying "I haven't been able to sleep for 2 days so I took a tranquilizer. Maybe several." Good grief. Anyway, we met up for coffee. I was desperately hungover and she was drugged up. Needless to say, our conversation was bizarre. Lots of people sitting near us seemed to be enjoying it, though. That is until we were asked to leave. Alex is also into erotic literature in French (who isn't?). How hot is that?

Now listening to: Northern Birds by Amateur Transplants

Babe #3: Annie, Annie, Annie...with her penchant for dragon flies, cocktails and jazz, I can barely keep up. I managed to catch up with her at jazz at the City Tavern last night though. It was magical. The band was really good and there were several attractive people in attendance, both playing and spectating. Over whiskey, we discussed our love lives. We still go for the same type (indie/skater boys and clever jocks. I think Annie's Oriel friend JT might fall into that category...). Anyway, Annie can put away any number of cocktails but she never seems to get drunk. Tipsy, yes, but never drunk. I don't know how she does it. Perhaps she has an big liver? Afterall, everything is big in Texas...

Now listening to: For What It's Worth by Sergio Mendes

This evening (Friday) I am heading to The Middle Temple for a concert, sung by Schola Cantorum followed by cocktails. Speaking of cocktails, I had a delicious pear and cardamom cocktail last night at Angels. The sweet barman knocked 25% off too because I said I worked at the Jericho tavern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home