And so, there's this thing...: Lethargic...

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Lethargic...

is the only word I can think of to describe my mood today.

The only thing I want to do is curl up in bed with a good book. Something by Tom Sharpe, I think. I'm in need of cheering up. And maybe Simon & Garfunkel in the background. S & G are great. I've only recently discovered how good they are. To think I've been missing out on the magic of S & G all these years. Just when I think I know what I like and don't like, something I never would have considered listening to a few years ago is on repeat on my iPod.

This morning whilst attending to my morning toilet, I listened to Urban Hymns by The Verve. Beautiful songs. The album was a birthday present from Jen who used to live next to me, my first year at Cambridge. It brought back happy memories of late night walks and chats, hot chocolate and general silliness.

Apparently, your sense of smell has the greatest memory recall ability of all your senses. This is definitely true in my case. Certain smells- the polish used in New College Hall, Aqua di Gio fragrance, old books etc...evoke extremely vivid memories. Both happy and not so happy.

Songs also do this for me. I associate certain songs with certain moods and periods in my life. Urban Hymns is definitely melancholic but it was shared melancholia. The kind that bonds people. 'Tubthumping' is a happier song (if not terribly good) and the song 'You Belong To Me' by Suede reminds me of 4 very frustrating and tiring months in Angel. Those 4 heinous months precipitated my move to Oxford.

Currently listening to: Bleecker Street by Simon & Garfunkel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home